Coal Shed - Built circa 1912
Coal Shed Acetylene Gas Generator
J.B. Colt Company
Rail-side coal sheds or “coal pockets” were once a common feature in railroad towns throughout the Northeast, but are now rare. The original structure, where this generator is housed, was built by Richard B. Osher in 1912. Coal was delivered by rail and offloaded into silos where it was then delivered by horse and cart and later by trucks to the end users.