Randolph Coal and Ice Company
Built circa 1919
Rail-side coal sheds or “coal pockets” were once a common feature in railroad towns throughout the Northeast, but are now rare. The original structure was built by Richard B. Osher in 1912. The 2 cylindrical bins or silos were later added in 1919. Coal was delivered by rail and offloaded into the silos where it was then delivered by horse and cart and later by trucks to the end users. In recent years, unsuccessful appeals (including having the shed removed and reconstructed at the Shelburne Museum) have been made to secure and preserve this rare example of silo and flume technology which has all but disappeared in the United states.