Glen Dale Farm
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places,[Glen Dale Farm is a five building farm property which has been farming since the 1770s. The farm achieved prominence in the second half of the 19th century as one of the nation's top breeding sites of merino sheep during the period when Addison County dominated the world market.
The farm attained its present appearance in the late 1800s under the ownership of Milo B. Williamson, a breeder of Merino sheep and "gentleman's driving horses”. The barn complex is remarkably intact and constitutes one of the best surviving examples of nineteenth century stock and sheep farms in the state of Vermont.
Characterized by its remarkable joinery, the English barn, built circa 1775 (center) would have been a general-purpose barn, sheltering grain and hay crops as well as farm animals in the 18th century. The two larger barns (left) were built to house horses and carriages. The ventilated cupolas and the raking eaves trim are typical of barns built in Vermont during the 1870s and 1880s. The structure on the right is the sheep barn, one of the few remaining unaltered such buildings in the state.